January 21st, 2012
CORE OPTIMIZEDOptimize Mobility, by Catherine Higgins.
The I-15 Corridor Expansion Project is keeping traffic moving during construction.
As the project owner and the contractor for the I-15 CORE project, UDOT and Provo River Constructors have teamed up to make sure road users are not unnecessarily delayed by construction.
While some delay is inevitable, excessively slow travel is inconvenient for everyone and often expensive for workers and businesses that deliver goods and services. Keeping traffic moving involves a comprehensive planning and coordination effort. Here are some ways the project team reduces construction related delay:
- Advanced Transportation Management Systems, including ramp meters, traffic cameras, automated signals and traffic monitoring stations, are in place along the construction corridor and on parallel routes. A Traffic Operations Center at the I-15 CORE office allows traffic engineers to observe traffic. When capacity is reduced on I-15, engineers can make adjustments that increase the capacity of key parallel routes.
- The I-15 CORE project team takes a regional approach use major arterial and state roads as needed to relieve traffic demand on the freeway. Signal timing plans have been created for detours, crashes, and commuter travel. Plans can be adjusted as needed to provide enough green light time for traffic.
- The UDOT, Orem, and Provo signal systems have been unified to allow coordination across municipal boundaries.
- Construction has been phased to minimize ramp and lane closures. While lane closures are always necessary during reconstruction projects, minimizing lane closures maintains optimal capacity.
- Public Involvement Coordinators encourage road users to adopt TravelWise strategies, including alternate work schedules, trip-chaining and use of public transportation, to reduce demand for the freeway. Facebook and Twitter are used to communicate information regarding planned closures as well as traffic incidents so drivers can plan extra travel time or use alternate routes as needed.
Increasing capacity in and around the I-15 CORE project allows UDOT to optimize the level of service available for road users. Minimizing congestion on I-15 and on the parallel streets also reduces the likelihood of crashes.