July 19th, 2010
DO THE LOCOMOTIONUncategorized, by Catherine Higgins.
UDOT’s brand new rest stop echoes Tucker’s railroad past.
The Utah Department of Transportation has constructed a new Safety Rest Area and Visitor Center on US-6 at Milepost 202, at a location known as Tie Fork. The new facility was a concept and design to pay tribute to the town of Tucker and also to the history of the railroad heritage from the Soldier Summit and Helper areas.
The town of Tucker, Utah, which was 2 miles south of Tie Fork, existed from the early 1900’s to about 1915, and was in it’s prime in about 1910, when over 200 residents called Tucker home. Tucker was built because of a railroad spur toPleasant Valley. The narrow gauge rail went directly south from Tucker and served the coal mines in the Scofield and Pleasant Valley areas.
Tucker Rest area (Milepost 204) was built in 1969 and served travelers for 40 years. In 2009, the Tucker Rest area was removed to allow a highway safety project to be constructed. At that time, the Tie Fork site was selected for the new rest area.